Professor Raz Chan
Raz is a bestselling author and researcher on mental toughness for athletes and entrepreneurs. As a child he experienced the power of the human spirit in overcoming with adversity childhood when his father lost the family savings to bankruptcy. Instead of giving up on his dream of success, his father started his tiny bean sprout business in the basement of their home. During the days his father tended to the business and at nights he worked as a delivery driver for Kentucky Fried Chicken. Young Raz was put to work at the age of 10 to help with the family finances. The family’s struggles drifted from barely paying the bills to having almost no money for necessities. Regardless of the circumstances they remained resilient, doing whatever it took to succeed.
One of the lessons he learned from this difficult time was his father continuing to practice martial arts everyday at 5:30am in the parking lot of K-mart near their tiny home. His father credits this daily practice in helping him clear his mind to focus on transforming failure into success. The road to success was a long one taking over 12 years to build his family business to become profitable and major player in the food industry.
Recalling this life lesson, Raz began to take an active interest in the inner game at the age of 26. Inspired by the works of Bruce Lee, Brian Tracy, and inspirational movies, he delved into studying how successful people in business and sports went from struggle to success. From the foods they ate, exercise habits, self-education, and the way they used adversity to build the life they dreamed of.
The positive shift and new found knowledge transformed his life from a sickly underweight kid lacking confidence to a martial arts master with a life purpose. As a result, his life dramatically improved to having more productivity, happiness and greater energy.
The CHAMP Mental Toughness Program
Master Raz in collaboration with sports psychologist Dr. David Klonsky created the C.H.A.M.P mental toughness program. This unique program is based on his 40 plus years studying, coaching, competing and training in the martial arts.
In addition, his athletics background blends western sports psychology, neuro-science, and eastern methodologies incorporating techniques not found in other mental toughness programs for sports performance.
Deeply rooted in the principles of martial arts to build inner drive, discipline, commitment to goals, focus, and honor. These black belt mindset techniques can be taught to all athletes and business people looking to break through their mental barriers preventing them from success.
Courage & Creativity
Honor & Health
Since 2005, he has passionately transformed the lives of thousands of business people and athletes through his coaching programs. He has written two books related to mental toughness, the bestselling “Power Principles for Success” with Brain Tracy, and “The Human Excellence Project.”
Master Raz Chan holds a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and has trained in the martial arts since the age of 5. He is the first in the world to be co-promoted by two lineages: Professor Todd Nathanson (Academy of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – Jean Jacques Machado) and Professor Rodrigo Carvalho (Gracie Barra).
In addition, he is a certified military hand to hand combat Defendo instructor under retired Canadian special forces regimental sergeant major Bill Wolfe and brother Dennis Wolfe.
- Recognized by Shaw Communications as one of Canada’s extraordinary people for making Canada a better place for underprivileged children through education and sports.
- Qilly Award for Bestselling Author “Power Principles for Success”
- Editors Choice Award for contributions to the field of personal development.
- Author of two books on achieving personal excellence in sports and life.
- Black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu & certified self-defense instructor.
- Over 40 years training and coaching in various martial arts (qigong, kung fu, Sikaran).
- Media appearances in The New York Times, CTV, Vancouver Magazine, Business Mag, Gracie Magazine,
- Canada’s Fashion Magazine, Canada’s Fight Network.
- Spoken at major conferences, schools, and corporations on mental toughness and racial tolerance.
- Certified mixed martial arts conditioning coach
- 2012 World Masters Seniors Jiu-Jitsu Championships Featherweight Silver Medalist
- 2012 American Nationals Jiu-Jitsu No Gi Championships Middleweight Tournament Champion
- 2012 American Nationals Jiu-Jitsu No Gi Championships Open Weight Bronze Medalist
- 2011 US Open Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships Senior Light Weight Tournament Champion
- 2011 US Open Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships Senior Open Weight Tournament Champion
- 2011 Pan American Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships Bronze Medalist
- 2010 World No-Gi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships Silver Medalist
- 2010 Las Vegas Open Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championship Senior Light Weight Tournament Champion
- 2010 Las Vegas Open Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championship Senior Open Weight Bronze Medalist
Dr. David Klonsky
David is our resident sports psychology consultant. He received his PhD in clinical psychology from the University of Virginia in 2005, and is Professor of Psychology at the University of British Columbia, where he joined the faculty in 2009. He has published over 80 scholarly papers, and his professional and scientific contributions have earned awards from the Society of Clinical Psychology (American Psychological Association), Association for Psychological Science, and the American Association of Suicidology.
In 2012 David turned his focus to sports psychology. He has become well-known for his application of basic principles of behavior and emotion to combat sports. He has been a repeat guest on The Fight Network alongside famed analyst Robin Black, and has worked with numerous athletes including MMA, Jiu Jitsu, and Kickboxing champions.
David’s interest in the intersection of psychology and sports has a long history, starting at age 12, when he became involved in competitive basketball. As a senior in high-school David was captain of his basketball team and named 1st team all-league. He also lettered in three other sports: baseball, tennis, and soccer.
After high-school David’s athletic interests transitioned to the martial arts. He holds a 2nd degree black belt in Shotokan Karate, and between the years 2002-2004 he medaled in several national and international karate tournaments. Today David maintains his involvement in martial arts as a practitioner of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under the tutelage of Master Raz Chan.
Dr. Klonsky is available by appointment for one on one sessions.